Monday, 14 September 2026

Not enjoying normality

 Fiona is back to work, taking up where she left off and I am back working on bikes and more importantly trying to build a foundation for a Shed. Like I said in the title of this post I'm not enjoying normality. Since we got home we have both been very busy doing what I would call "Normal Stuff" which to be honest I haven't got used to normal stuff yet. 

The last time we went away for a big trip we didn't want to come home because we were having a fantastic time on the road but finances meant we had to come home and luckily I got a job almost immediately which took my mind off travelling for a while and eased me into "normal " life again. This time after 9 months away its been different, I think Asia was hard on the body and soul with little respite, Europe was as always a extended vacation rather than a true adventure in my opinion.  I have the feeling that we missed something, perhaps we both need a rest.

When we got back to the UK we were glad to be home initially, sleeping in our own bed, back with family and friends but then the nagging doubt we should have done more. Unfortunately times have changed since our 2012/13 trip, health insurance is crazy now (especially since my Stroke 5 years ago) they want your money but don't want the risk, I see now when travelling in the EU they ask if you have health insurance, never used to be a thing but I have heard several stories of the prices charged in Europe for emergency health care so you would be crazy to take a chance. Of course nobody wants to take on the risk of  extended travel, I struggled to get 2 months health insurance in Europe because I ride a bike over 125cc. Even cover for your bike is now an issue, our Insurance company were taken over so the small print in the renewal was instead of 3 months Euro cover it was now 30 days, we had to negotiate at a price the extra month.

So not enjoying normality means having to deal with the crooks on a daily basis, the Council, the Government, the Banks, Insurance companies etc etc, they all collectively have stolen our freedom.  So maybe its just that which is making me unsettled, anyway we are still lucky to live in a nice place with good friends and  wonderful scenery , getting out on the bikes helps to settle my mind so just keep on keeping on .... and I will try to stop moaning and put on a smiley face, winters coming but shortly after that it'll be spring time again  


Test run
Test run
Some fettling needed
Really enjoyed being out on this again
Camping on my LeMans
Fiona used my T3
Making space, bike chess

6 comments:

  1. Bonnie Guzzi's, what's the name for a a group of Guzzi's, a group? A gaggle? a gathering? Or maybe jist a puckle, or if in Aberdeenshire a pucklie? Or if in Arbroath it could be a droothin? I'll explain next time I see you. E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Eric, I suspect a puckle would suit, I've even got a Puckle more!

      Gino

      Delete
  2. "A puckle more", I think it should be, a puckle too many, and that's why you have to build a shed base, but what a problem to have. Budge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, need to stop moaning budge

      Delete
  3. Aye yis'll get used tae the New Normal .Nae maitter whit yis dae,make the maist o' it, Tourists comin' up tae Enjoy oor cauld damp weather.Thir welcome but jist let us dae the same. Wis et the wee Coffee Pot cafe yesterday and the petrol stn. only chargin' £2.04 ltr.Did we really used tae get 4 gallons o' 5 star fur a £ ?.Must be awfy embarisin' fur Shell /Esso huvin' tae hide thir profits. Hey-ho,Always look oan the Bright side Ba dum ba dum. Great tae be daft in yir auld age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ridiculous prices but we are lucky we can almost afford it George, and your right good to be daft in your slightly older age

    ReplyDelete