Sunday 12 March 2017

Guzzi & Norton servicing

A weekend in the garage trying to get a couple of bikes ready for the MOT test. The two bikes in question weren't used last year so first job for both was a oil and filter change. The Mk3 Le mans was first on the bench, rear brake overhauled, electrics sorted (starter not working, indicators not working. The starter turned out to be corroded wires and the indicator (a cheap bolt on at the rear) has given way to terminal corrosion so a new standard set ordered up (surprisingly cheap) The rear brake switch had failed so a new one ordered up. A quick clean but not a polish (yet, I'll wait till after the salt has gone from the roads)
The Norton needed some tlc also , the fiberglass tank has succumbed to Ethanol disease and will finally need replaced (I have a steel one already prepared but I've been reluctant to put it on until the glass one failed) With 2 year old fuel in it I was surprised when it started first kick, settling down to a nice tickover.  Like the Guzz some connections were corroded and there was much faffing about with a soldering iron and crimps plus a replacement rear brake light switch (which I had in stock) Annoyingly it was the rubber boot that had failed and not the switch itself but I replaced the whole thing anyway. A quick polish and its looking good hopefully it'll get through its MOT and then its ready for the mighty Tay Valley Norton club Huntygowks meeting at Tullybannocher on 2nd April ( be there or be square).
As always its made me realise not using a bike is worse than using it, stuff corrodes and a perfectly functioning bike when put away is rarely the same when brought out of storage. I will need to rationalise the fleet at some point as I'd rather see them used and lessen the maintenance stress but which ones I'll let go is the really difficult decision whenever I bring myself to make it.
The photos actually make the bikes look better than they are.

Le Mans almost ready
Nice
750 Commando being pressed into service until MVD is ready!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment