Monday 24 July 2023

Wee Smokey

Well Eric managed it again, despite the forecast being of biblical rain it was a dry day for the meeting. Fi and I took a couple of Interstate Commandos, MVD which is recently been put back on the road and the Mk3 which has had major work over the winter, neither have done more than 200 miles since the various work was carried out. MVD was fine for a while but the vibrations are bad, normally on a Commando you can get a sweet spot to sit in but no, this vibrates more than it should, I have adjusted the Iso's (The rubber bushes) but to no avail, it vibrates and handles like shit, that plus I seem to be getting rust from the inside of the tank which then blocks the needle valve and then either pisses out all over the place (Dangerous) or makes the throttle very jerky (Also dangerous) That said it is looking well but I'm afraid its coming apart again to fit new Iso's (again) and to check a couple of things I'm not happy with, this has been my go to bike for decades and has taken me all over Europe so it's a bit disappointing but I will get it sorted before next year! On the way to Dundee Fiona asked if we could go a bit slower (not like her) so I slowed down to 60 - 65mph then along the Kingsway (The Dundee bypass) she said there was something wrong with the throttle and could we stop. Transpires for some reason the top of the carb had vibrated off and the slide and spring were visible at the top, I managed to eventually screw it back on but not before I'd dislodged the fuel pipes! Looks like the fuel pipes have gone soft with the Ethanol in modern petrol, now where possible I put the best low ethanol fuel in but even then it seems to be corroding some rubbers. So to all you eco warriors F**K you and thanks for making our hobby a bit more dangerous and expensive!! I though about getting a "Just stop Oil" T shirt and adding "Leaks" to the end (Danny's idea)

Eventually we got to Arbroath and met John T and Budge who had also arrived just before us. A large breakfast was called for and a calming cup of tea. We talked with countless old friends and to be honest there wasn't enough time in the day to get round everyone which was disappointing. It is a wonderful friendly meeting and long may it continue (Especially if Eric can keep the weather gods happy) Of course time to go home and both bikes were reluctant to start (mines because of the flooding carb) and Fiona's was just enjoying playing to the crowds! We did make it home without further mishap but I had decided by then that MVD should be better and deserves to be better so another major strip down is planned! Budge followed us home and his recently restored BMW never missed a beat.....funny that!!!

Enjoy the Photos I probably missed half of the classics but you'll get the picture..


Ex Norton Owner Johnny T thinking thank god i bought a new bike!
The Rondelli Nortons looking nice (despite their bad behaviour)
Loop Guzzi
Hona 400 4
Nice Panther
Norton Electra
Older Two strokes
This was interesting
I think its based on a newer 900ss
A10 with very new panniers
Tidy Triumph
Bsa A65
Norton ES2
I think this is Andrew's Square 4 (I recognise his wiring)
Tidy MV
The theme was triples
and again
Mellow Yellow
Comet
I raced one exactly the same
Not sure the blue mudflaps go with the colour scheme
Very tidy R60 with the big tank
Very nice series 2 T3
Tidy
BSA
Tidy pre war HRD
A Used Le Mans
Two stroke RE
Panther
And another
Dereks very nice RGS
Great to see it getting an airing

4 comments:

  1. Great photos and some lovely bikes, I enjoyed the day. Budge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep Gino Fiona thanks for supporting the Smokey, and as always making the effort to put up some great pics, you never caught my best side though! Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye Gino, Oh dear, very dear, my commiserations. A grand day out, with plenty to gawp at. Shame the #7 Duke v-twin had internal problems, described when I had blether with the owner and the wee MV150 2stroke decided not to run. After investigation it appeared that the ignition earth wasn't, but Derek and I were leaving. Came a route that I hadn't taken before, acting as Derek's wingman. A lovely note from the Goldie pipe and the electric start is a very neat mod. Thank you for posting the pics, to Eric for hosting the event, I hope that everybody was home safe. Good health, Myreside

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete